Returning to Work After Experiencing a Traumatic Event Ep.2
In this episode we talk about returning to work after experiencing a traumatic event. We all suffer loss, hurt and tragedy in life, and most of us have to keep working while trying to cope. So, how can we do this and take care of ourselves? Our guest Christian Monks, a registered clinical counsellor, helps us understand what trauma is, how to manage it after returning to work and also tips for leaders on how best to support team members who are suffering.
In this episode we talk about:
- Trauma and what it is and how to identify it.
- What it means to be triggered.
- The variety of outcomes when our coping mechanisms go offline.
- The difference between big ‘T’ and small ‘t’ trauma.
- The complexities of whether to share or not to share when returning to work.
- What are the behaviours to be aware of that are symptomatic of trauma?
- Strategies to help regulate.
- Suggestions for leaders on how to best to support team members who are managing trauma.
About our guest:
Christian Monks is a Registered Clinical Counsellor who has a private practice in Vancouver. He is trained in a range of therapies that treat trauma including EMDR, Mindfulness and AEDP. Christian has worked as a Child & Family Therapist for nearly a decade and was a clinical coordinator at a non-profit before moving full time into private practice. Christian is currently working on becoming certified as an AEDP therapist.
Connect with Christian:
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- The Change Triangle from “It’s Not Always Depression” (Random House, 2018) by Hilary Jacobs Hendel
Never lose your Cadence. Sign up for our newsletter for exclusive coaching tips, Cadence Leadership news, and all our latest blog posts.
Enjoy the Podcast? Send us an email or hit us up on Instagram with your feedback and join the conversation!