Presenting With Impact
Avoid the data-dump—capture audience attention through influential presentations, compelling visuals, and engaging delivery
Presentations are often the frontline of exchanging ideas in the business world. However, many presentations simply inform with a data-dump style, and fail to keep the attention of the audience. This detracts from the value of the presentation, and limits the ability of the presenter to influence. So, the ability to craft and deliver a strong presentation are crucial skills to have. The course discussed how to structure influential presentations, build compelling visuals and deliver in a manner that engages.
- Adopting the mindset of an impactful presenter.
- Using presentations to advance thinking rather than dump information.
- Creating compelling presentations through the use of structure.
- Answering questions clearly, concisely and confidently.
- Sparking action through clear requests and next steps.
- Using physical and verbal presence to inspire belief in the ideas.
I. PRESENTING WITH IMPACT – MINDSET + SKILL SET
- An impactful presenter sets the environment, creates connection and inspires.
- Presenting with impact is achieved through mindset + skill set.
- Mindset: Preparation, Authenticity and Accessibility.
- Skill set: Clarity of Thought and Expression.
- Workshop: In small groups, participants will discuss the mindset of an influential presenter and how to evolve a one-way exchange into a conversation.
II. CLARITY OF THOUGHT – STRUCTURING YOUR COMMUNICATION
- Speaking with structure empowers both the speaker and the audience.
- Staying conversational by avoiding casual or formal language.
- The Crucial Three: Structural sections that must be present in all presentations.
- Bespoke: Developing the introduction and body based on audience need.
- The short answer: Delivering clear and direct answers that advance thinking.
- Workshop: Using structure, participants will develop presentations for an upcoming opportunity and prepare for anticipated questions.
III. CLARITY OF EXPRESSION – PRESENCE: PHYSICAL + VERBAL
- Foundations of physical presence: eye contact, gestures and expression.
- Foundations of verbal presence: pace, volume, emphasis and tone.
- Presenting while standing: posture, movement and room dynamics.
- Presenting while sitting: which chair to pick and how to position yourself.
- Managing the room and speaking to PowerPoint.
- Workshop: Participants will deliver their presentations to the group twice. Each participant will be videoed, receive feedback and their video will be shared with them post-session for ongoing development.
IV. CLOSING THE SESSION
- Building your cadence – a daily effort.