The Presence Of A Leader
Achieve clarity of expression by developing crucial skills in both physical and verbal presence
Many professionals have the ability to deliver their ideas with clarity of thought, therefore achieving clarity of expression is a logical next step. In this regard, many audiences pay more attention to both physical and verbal presence then they do to what is being said. So, while they may not remember the content of what a leader shared with them, they will remember how it was communicated. Thus, for professionals the ability to inspire through their presence is a crucial skill to develop. This course teaches the fundamentals of leading through both physical and verbal presence, and covers sitting, standing and presenting positions.
- Adopting the mindset of an audience centred communicator.
- Understanding how to use presence to build the right perception.
- Setting the tone of any communication through the use of presence.
- Developing the foundations of physical and verbal presence.
- Displaying effective presence in sitting and standing positions.
- Establishing a baseline for exceptional everyday presence.
I. PRESENCE OF A LEADER – MINDSET + SKILL SET
- The presence of a leader creates connection and momentum.
- Developing the presence of a leader requires mindset + skill set.
- Mindset: Authenticity.
- Skill Set: Clarity of Expression.
- Workshop: In small groups, participants will present short communications that they have prepared in advance. Each participant will be videoed and receive feedback.
II. CLARITY OF EXPRESSION – PRESENCE: PHYSICAL + VERBAL
- Foundations of physical presence: eye contact, gestures and expression.
- Foundations of verbal presence: pace, volume, emphasis and tone.
- Presence while standing: posture, movement and room dynamics.
- Presence while sitting: which chair to pick and how to position yourself.
- Workshop: Using the above concepts, participants will practice communicating with presence, in both standing and sitting positions, by speaking to prepared content. Each participant will be videoed and receive feedback.
III. CLARITY OF EXPRESSION – EVERYDAY PRESENCE
- Beyond the mountaintop: Presence matters in all settings, not just presentations.
- Our everyday presence builds, maintains or erodes perception.
- Set the environment by managing the space in every engagement.
- Connecting with presence in off-the-cuff engagements.
- Adopting the right presence when emotions heighten.
- Workshop: Using the above concepts, participants will practice communicating with presence, in both standing and sitting positions, by responding to off-the-cuff communications. Each participant will be videoed and receive feedback.
IV. CLOSING THE SESSION
- Building your cadence – a daily effort